PDA

View Full Version : Sanders says he lost primaries to Clinton, because the poor don't vote

Catstrack
4.24.16, 1:55 AM
Statistics show that at least half of eligible voters don't vote and it's an across the board monetary spectrum problem. Saying that though, there is a real and pervasive issue with some states who have used political strength to redraw district lines to help a particular party, in-acted restrictive voter legislation, etc., in order to help continue guaranteed political power. That's just wrong and needs to be changed.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/sanders-says-he-has-lost-primaries-to-clinton-because-%e2%80%98poor-people-don%e2%80%99t-vote%e2%80%99/ar-BBsadVY?li=BBnb7Kz

jolau
4.24.16, 6:09 AM
I'm not sure how well this argument holds water. Hillary carrying the Southern Black Vote probably means she got the support of a lot of poor people. And frankly, I would have thought the mis-trust of Hillary in more conservative states would have meant that Bernie should be winning more of the South too. It seems to me one of the lessons she has learned from 2008 was she had to court the Black voters as much as she can. Hence her support of police brutality/gun violence victims and their families (Trayvon Martin, Eric Gardner, Micheal Brown, etc)

I think part of this problem is the ill-preparedness of the part of the Sanders camp that were either Independent or didn't vote for so long that their voter registration was forgotten somehow. One of the Facebook groups I'm in reminded me to check again just in case. (Yup, I'm still a Democrat).

Another part is the kind of outreach Sanders has done in recent history (And I'm talking 1992 - present, not just his participation in protests during the 60's/70's.), and it's in ways that Hillary (as mentioned earlier) has been up front, while Bernie has been a face in the crowd.

Catstrack
4.26.16, 1:19 AM
I would agree with those points and also as to Sander's campaign regarding support of free programs that appeal to the younger crowds...i.e.: free higher education, etc., his way of bringing that to fruition may be more of a pipe dream than a reality. Saying that, I would totally support the idea if there was a viable, financial solution.

I guess part of my deal is remembering when I was able to first vote ....being a very idealistic, anti-Vietnam war, ERA supporter backing George McGovern...who ran a losing campaign. I see myself in some of the Bernie supporters and that's not bad, but now I understand that idealism doesn't always win elections. In this election, there are dangerous people running on the GOP side and sadly, it says more about their supporters than it says about the candidates.

jolau
4.27.16, 4:56 AM
Hillary wins CT, DL, MD, PN.
Sanders RI

I'm probably going to ask "Bernie or Bust" crowds if Sanders doesn't win nomination, do they want progress in small increments with Hillary, or do they want to see the progress stalled for at least 4 years while our country falls further and further into theocracy?

jolau
4.27.16, 9:08 PM
I guess part of my deal is remembering when I was able to first vote ....being a very idealistic, anti-Vietnam war, ERA supporter backing George McGovern...who ran a losing campaign. I see myself in some of the Bernie supporters and that's not bad, but now I understand that idealism doesn't always win elections. In this election, there are dangerous people running on the GOP side and sadly, it says more about their supporters than it says about the candidates.

I spent my High School years under Clinton and saw a Republican Party where I felt something was wrong with them. All the probes into Bill/Hillary Clinton's personal affairs, the accusations of marital infidelity, etc. And then people like Gingrich turn around and do almost the exact same thing. Then came the Bush/Gore election of 2000 and we all know how that turned out. Probably the beginnings of a staunch Democrat despite a rather conservative upbringing prior to that. That and having observed the Pro-Life movement become something that has become more and more disgusting over the last 35 years.

Catstrack
4.28.16, 1:54 AM
Hillary wins CT, DL, MD, PN.
Sanders RI

I'm probably going to ask "Bernie or Bust" crowds if Sanders doesn't win nomination, do they want progress in small increments with Hillary, or do they want to see the progress stalled for at least 4 years while our country falls further and further into theocracy?

The one thing I am sad about Bernie is that he promised he would not run a negative campaign. I don't think he really wanted to, but at some point every candidate does need to be hardline to point out the differences. The problem presents when the opponent becomes the candidate and the person's (Bernie's) voter base are so outraged by the loss that they decide to not vote at all.

Catstrack
4.28.16, 2:02 AM
I spent my High School years under Clinton and saw a Republican Party where I felt something was wrong with them. All the probes into Bill/Hillary Clinton's personal affairs, the accusations of marital infidelity, etc. And then people like Gingrich turn around and do almost the exact same thing. Then came the Bush/Gore election of 2000 and we all know how that turned out. Probably the beginnings of a staunch Democrat despite a rather conservative upbringing prior to that. That and having observed the Pro-Life movement become something that has become more and more disgusting over the last 35 years.

I agree. Knowing what we now know about some of those who wanted to bring down Bill's presidency ....it's now eye opening as to the accuser's own personal failures and how they were able to skirt by when no one dealt into their own personal life problems.