PDA

View Full Version : Does not compute: Lupus patient continues as endurance swimmer? SLE "under control"?

Mike
1.8.15, 11:48 AM
Not sure what to make of this edition of the "Laughing Matters" column (http://smdp.com/move-lynda-carter/144421) in the Santa Monica (CA) Daily Press.

The piece, titled "Move Over Lynda Carter," is about Carolyn Hollingsworth, a talented athlete who was diagnosed with Lupus some years ago. Apparently she has overcome Lupus with positive attitude.
“Thanks to my amazing doctors, family, friends and my positive attitude and determined spirit I’ve been able to make a comeback.”

No disrespect intended to Ms. Hollingsworth, but we seem to know a lot of folks with both Lupus and a near miraculous positive attitude, but no such good fortune as Ms. Hollingworth has had with regard to the effects of the SLE.

Mentions of "positive attitude" like this tend to put me a little on edge, as they seem to imply to those not close-up familiar with the disease that Lupus is mainly in the mind of the patient.

Lupus is an actual physical disease, and its effects are real. And painful. And depressing. It is not an imaginary illness.

The column's author, Jack Neworth, actually says,
With her disease under control, Carolyn ought to be a spokesperson for the Lupus Foundation, ... to prove that anyone is capable of anything with the right attitude and belief in themselves.

I'm just wishing that Jack would maybe look over the literature at LFA, maybe do a little research before he dumps a load of psycho-guilt-by-implication.

Positive thinking helps many things, but it does not cure Lupus.