PDA

View Full Version : Five For Friday - Positive Or Negative?

mtj
8.24.12, 11:48 AM
1. Do you consider yourself a positive or a negative person?

2. How do you deal with people who are always negative?

3. How do you deal with criticism?

4. What positive thing have you heard about yourself lately that really gave you a mental boost?

5. Is there anything that happened in your childhood, that contributed to negative self-esteem, that you still "carry" around with you?

Weekend plans?

boo1
8.24.12, 12:54 PM
That's a really hard question for me. I'd like to think I'm a positive person and try to be but sometimes life can really get you down. Times like that I feel like a negative person.

My Mother-in-law is the most difficult and negative person I have ever known. I try to cheer her up and point out the positive. I swear and yell at her (in my mind only) that's how I deal with her.

In one ear out the other.

4. What positive thing have you heard about yourself lately that really gave you a mental boost?
Nothing. Seems like I can't do anything right.

5. Is there anything that happened in your childhood, that contributed to negative self-esteem, that you still "carry" around with you?
I do have low self-esteem, I think mostly due to my weight. I had a good childhood, I don't think it contributed to my low self-esteem.

Weekend plans? Helping my Mother-in-law and taking care of my husband. He came home from work this morning running a high temp, sore throat, cold and diarrhea. FUN

KrisMich
8.24.12, 1:01 PM
Mostly positive, but with some worries along the way.

I try to avoid them. I have quite a few negative people in my life and I ignore most of what they say as in I never listen to their advice and believe me, they give it to me.

I always feel hurt at first or thrown off, but afterwards I'll take it into consideration and try to fix what I do wrong.

That I'm a good daughter and person. I don't always feel that way as I complain on the inside when I'm so tired.

Being rejected by my father has been an issue I carry.

Weekend plans?
Hospital. But, I'm hoping to not have to go on Sunday as I need a day to myself. I need to start cleaning out drawers and stuff to prepare for my move.

Coffenut
8.24.12, 1:22 PM
I am a very positive person and always see the silver lining . But lately things have been piling on and it gets a little harder to stay positive.

Try to avoid them.

Depends on how it's given .If it is well meant I have no problem,but if it is a person who has no clue about something and tries to lecture me I can get a bit nasty.

When my husband thinks I'm still 'all that' despite a few extra pounds and getting up in years. He can still make me feel like a young girl.

I don't think so.

Weekend plans?
Tomorrow a day with the grandkids and on Sunday we are celebrating our 30th Wedding Anniversary.

Agent99
8.24.12, 2:19 PM
I think I'm a positive person and always try to look on the bright side. Unless it has to do with my health. I can be a hypochondriac to the extreme. A pimple is skin cancer, a headache is a brain tumor, etc.

Avoid them. Remove them from my life if I can.

Depends on who is giving it and how and why it's being delivered. I'd like to think I can take criticism and do something positive about it. I do get touchy about people criticizing my writing. I'm very protective of that.

I got together with a bunch of girls from Jr. High and High School. One of the girls said that she always remembered me as being "kind." I liked that. Of course when I told my current friends about that comment they all said that was one word they would never associate with me. LOL!!

Having undiagnosed anxiety as a child has left me with a lot of negative views about how I handled things when I was a child. Afraid of sleepovers, sticking close to home, not taking any risks. When I'm faced with something now that causes me anxiety and fear I always feel like that misunderstood kid.

Weekend plans? Trivial Pursuit with friends tomorrow night. I love it!

Jenigirl
8.24.12, 3:17 PM
1. Do you consider yourself a positive or a negative person? I try hard to be as positive as I can, I always try to remember no matter how bad it gets someone else always has it worse, but sometimes life just gets ya down and the negativity flows.

2. How do you deal with people who are always negative? I've had a few of those people in my life..I try my best to help them but sometimes I just have to let them go because I don't need anything or anyone else bringing me down.

3. How do you deal with criticism? I wish I could say in one ear and out the other, but I can't. It does depend on who says it of course, and what they've said. Most times I confront the person and then it turns into a big fight... like the one I have with my sister at the moment. Fun times. lol

4. What positive thing have you heard about yourself lately that really gave you a mental boost? My friend told me that no matter what my size, I'm still beautiful (of course being told to me when I was in one of my negative states - LOL!)

5. Is there anything that happened in your childhood, that contributed to negative self-esteem, that you still "carry" around with you? The one major thing that I'm still "carrying" is my weight - which has always hurt my self esteem from childhood to now. But I'm joining a gym this weekend and finally going to stop letting the rest of the world lose weight all around me while I sit here doing nothing.

Weekend plans? Tomorrow I'm going to Toys R Us to do a Christmas layaway (yes, already!) the boys have a birthday party to attend so I'm going while they are there. The rest of my weekend will be cleaning and maybe catching a movie with the boys.

mtj
8.24.12, 3:22 PM
But I'm joining a gym this weekend and finally going to stop letting the rest of the world lose weight all around me while I sit here doing nothing.

Good for you JG.

I always feel hurt at first or thrown off, but afterwards I'll take it into consideration and try to fix what I do wrong.

We had a seminar (aka stupid meeting) at work on criticism. Most people said the same thing Kris did. That initially, they felt hurt by criticism, but later tried to either do something about it (if it was constructive) or ignore it (if it was mean and untrue).