PDA

View Full Version : Story: "The Test Of Time" (Part 1 of 1)

Jen
9.19.07, 3:24 AM
Title: “The Test Of Time”

Author: Jen (Fastdancr)

Disclaimer: All characters from the television soap opera “Passions” are not my creation and do not belong to me. They are being used here without permission. This story is for entertainment purposes only and no profit will ever be made from its publication.

Character(s): Sam, Fancy, Luis

Spoiler(s): Episode from Wednesday, April 4, 2007.

Author’s Notes: This is my first story so all feedback is welcomed and appreciated. Also, this hasn’t been proofread by a beta so hopefully I caught all the mistakes. If anyone wants to beta any stories in the future, let me know. I have a few ideas for some more stories. This story has been posted first on another website.

Summary: Fancy reflects on her life and the future… (Fancy/Luis)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Fancy Crane somberly sat at her desk in the darkened police station. It was well after midnight but she couldn’t bring herself to leave. The station was one of the few places she still felt safe and confident. So many things had brought her here. Memories filled with both laughter and regret.

She had never planned to be a police officer until a handsome young man in uniform managed to catch her eye and change her life. She joined the academy to gain his attention and never looked back.

Regrets had come later. They had come when an evil façade appeared and was determined to change the image of her prince charming into a criminal. Very few people trusted him. When he tried to prove his innocence, he had been shot. Fancy hadn’t meant to. She didn’t know it was him and she’d do anything to change the events of the past few weeks. It wasn’t supposed to be this way.

The blonde held a piece of paper with shaky hands. Tears brimmed at the corners of her eyes as she read over the statement in front of her. It was her incident report from the night that her fellow officer was shot. A night she would always regret even though she knew he never blamed her.

She spent all of her time with him whenever she could. The only reason she was here instead of the hospital was because he had asked her to go home and get some sleep. She had tried to keep her promise only being home alone was the last thing she wanted. She wasn’t going to get any sleep tonight. She wasn’t going to get a good night’s rest until this whole nightmare had come to an end.

Carefully, she placed her report on the tabletop of her desk and pushed her blonde hair from her face. She almost wished she had kept it in a ponytail. At least, she had kept part of her promise. She had gone home long enough to change out of her uniform.

A white frilly jacket was casually draped around the back of her chair. She quietly looked out the window across from her. The weather did little to comfort her. It was April and snowflakes were falling from the sky.

Fancy pulled the long sleeves of her plain white shirt further down her arms. She should’ve dressed warmer but she hadn’t expected it to snow. She stopped staring out the window. The weather was worsening her mood.

She glanced at the top of her desk and pushed her hair behind her ears. She put her skinny fingers to each side of her head and tried to ease the headache that was stirring inside. It was going to be a long night.

“You know that Luis wouldn’t want you blaming yourself.” a voice said compassionately yet firmly.

Fancy looked up from the desk with a startled expression. She hadn’t heard anyone walk in the room. Nobody should be here at this time of night. Her fellow officers were either on patrol or home with their families.

Nonetheless, she sighed deeply and finally glanced at the person talking to her.

She smiled and was no longer surprised. If there was anyone that would be sure to check up on her other than Luis, it was the chief.

“I know,” she admitted, “he told me that but I can’t help feeling responsible.” she returned her stare to the top of her desk.

Sam Bennett had been the chief of police for many years yet there were some things that never got easier. He knew she was in love with one of his best officers since the beginning. He also knew what she meant to Luis and that neither of them held her responsible for the shooting. She was simply doing her job.

He hadn’t gone to the Crane mansion to make sure she was alright. After he had checked on Luis at the hospital, he instinctively knew where she was when he hadn’t seen her.

Sam walked around the desk he had been standing in front of and leaned up against the side. He gently lifted her chin so she would look at him. When she finally did, she was already crying.

Sam immediately stood up and silently pulled her out of her chair and hugged her. She had tried her best to hide the sadness and guilt she felt. She had tried to remain professional. It was time she realized that there were people who cared about her regardless of circumstance.

Normally, Sam wouldn’t be hugging another officer. This was different. Fancy needed someone watching over her until Luis was strong enough to do so.

“I’m sorry.” Fancy whispered as she stepped backward and noticed the wet stain her tears had left.

“For what?” Sam asked. She pointed at the stain on his uniform shirt. “Trying to tell me I need a shower?” he teased lightly.

She chuckled and wiped the rest of the tears from her eyes. Sam grinned and hoped he had succeeded in making her feel a little better.

“Thanks Sam.” she replied with a small smile. She didn’t need to ask him why he was there. She already knew.

“Now I know you can smile bigger than that,” he teasingly chastised, “I’ve seen it.”

Fancy laughed inwardly. She really didn’t feel like smiling but he wasn’t going to give up so easily. He raised an eyebrow expectantly. She rolled her eyes in response.

“You’re not going to leave until I turn into a grinning babbling idiot, are you?” she asked, trying not to laugh. He simply shook his head.

“Fine,” Fancy exclaimed exasperated yet a smile was plastered across her face, “you win.” her smile turned genuine and bright.

“See,” Sam matched her smile, “I knew you could do it and aren’t you supposed to be home?”

Fancy nodded, keeping her smile. “Luis told you.” she commented knowing the chief had probably gone to see him before he had found her.

“He didn’t have to,” Sam admitted as he led her away from her desk, “you’re stubborn like most women.”

Fancy’s jaw dropped as she looked at him indignantly. “Women are not stubborn!” she protested.

“Argumentative too.” the chief of police added as he guided the blonde woman toward the front door of the station.

“Sam!” she playfully punched him in the arm.

Sam feigned an injury as he held his arm. “Don’t make me have to arrest you.” he warned.

“Whatever.” Fancy replied with a subtle roll of her eyes. She let him open the door for her and walk her to her car.

Sam was somewhat surprised. She could have had a driver pick her up but she had driven herself. She had grown up a lot from being the naïve little blonde princess that most thought of at the mention of her name.

“Well,” she said when they were standing next to her car, “I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Despite her mood, she had a job that needed attention. She still had a few more days before the weekend.

“Go home and get some sleep first,” Sam advised, “then we’ll see about tomorrow when its the morning.”

Fancy nodded her head. A second later, a mischievous grin peeked from the corners of her lips as she remembered his teasing comments about women.

“Sam,” she remarked with her eyes twinkling underneath the falling snowflakes, “it is morning.”

Sam sighed and held open the car door for her. “Women.” he muttered knowing no matter how hard he would try, he would never completely understand them.

“Gotta love us.” Fancy teased as she slid into the driver’s seat of her car.

“Goodnight.” Sam said quietly.

“Goodnight,” Fancy replied sincerely, “and thanks.”

Sam smiled and shut the door to her car. He pulled his jacket closer as he watched her drive away. She had a long road ahead of her and she was going to be just fine even if she didn’t already know it yet.

The End (unless someone wants a sequel!)